Benicia Frequently Asked Questions



I’m a contractor looking to bid on a project, where do I go? For building projects, contact the Community Development Department, Building Division at 707-746-4230. Also look for updates on the Bidder Notification page of this website.

I need a building permit. You can acquire a building permit through our Community Development Department Building Division. Find more information on the Building page of this website or call them for more information and hours at 707-746-4230

  Contact Us

Keeping in touch with the public is a top priority of the City of Benicia. If you need to contact a branch of the government of the City of Benicia, please call the department or departmental division at the number listed below. There is a single fax number for each department. If you wish to leave a suggestion, comment, or question from this website, you may do so via our Email Contact page.  Submit a request for services.

 E-Waste & Landfill

Where can I take E-waste, bulk garbage or excess yard waste?  Contact Republic Services for:  weekly curbside garbage collection and recyclables, biweekly, curbside collection of green waste and many other types of pick-ups at 707-747-0608.

Additionally, the City of Benicia’s Corporation Yard located at 2400 East 2nd Street is open on Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. for drop off of batteries (car and household), motor oil (and filters), latex paint, fluorescent bulbs, and antifreeze.  Call Republic Services for more information at 707-747-0608. 

Where is the nearest landfill?  There is no land fill in the City of Benicia.  The closest transfer station is the Contra Costa Transfer Station, 951 Waterbird Way, Martinez.  For more information, contact Republic Services at 707-747-0608.  

 Holiday Hours

Alternate Fridays Schedule Begins in 2020 

The City of Benicia's new Alternate Fridays schedule begins Friday, January 10, 2020. City Hall will be closed on alternating Fridays when City staff begins working the uniform Alternate Fridays schedule (also known as a 9/80 schedule) at City Hall.

Days of operation will not change for the Benicia Public Library and the Benicia Community Center. The Benicia Police Department lobby will remain open 24 hours a day. Schedules for Police and Fire staff also will not change except that the lobby of Fire Station 11 located on Military West will be closed on alternating Fridays.

This calendar shows City of Benicia staff holidays and Alternate Friday closure days in 2021. The calendar is also posted at each City Hall entrance and at the entrance to Benicia Fire Station 11.

Many City services continue to be available online. Click these links to register for classes, file certain police reports, pay your water/sewer utility bill or obtain a business license.


How do I know if the City is hiring?  All available job openings are listed on the City’s website.  Check the link here…to view jobs and to complete and upload employment applications. 

 Farmer's Market

I have questions about the Benicia Farmers Market, holiday parades or other downtown activities.  Look for events and contact information on the Events Calendar or call Economic Development staff at 707-746-4202.

 Just Moved to Benicia

I’m new to town, which services can I set up with the City?  Water and Sewer Services can be set up with the City’s Finance Department at 707-746-4225.  Garbage and recycling services can be set up with Republic Services by calling 707-747-0608.  Gas and electricity in this area is provided by Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) and MCE Clean Energy.

 Local Government

Can I meet with the Mayor? Yes

Regular Schedule:

The Mayor has Open Office Hours every Monday from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. excluding City holidays. The Mayor will meet with citizens on a first-come, first-serve basis. Otherwise, an appointment may be scheduled by calling 707-746-4200.

I’m unable to attend the City Council meeting or Planning Commission meeting, can I watch it on T.V.? You can watch the City Council meetings on Xfinity channel 27, u-Verse channel 99, or from the City’s website, here. The video recordings, agendas, and minutes of all meetings are available here.


Can the City Clerk issue marriage licenses or perform weddings?  No.  The City of Benicia does not issue marriage licenses nor performs wedding ceremonies. Marriage licenses may be obtained from the Solano County Clerk’s Office at 675 Texas Street, Suite 1900 in Fairfield, CA. The telephone number is 707-784-7485. Marriage Licenses are issued from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). All birth, marriage and death certificates must be obtained through the Solano County Assessor/Recorder’s Office at 675 Texas Street, Suite 2700.  The telephone number is 707-784-6294.  


We’re moving and want to know if we can store a storage pod in our driveway? Contact the Public Works Engineering Department for permits by calling 707-746-4240

 Rental Facilities

I want to have a party at one of the City’s parks or facilities. The Benicia Parks & Community Services handles all rentals of City facilities. You can check availability and make your reservations by calling 707-746-4285

 Reporting a Problem

I have concerns that a neighbor might be violating a City Ordinance: You may review City Ordinance online. For further questions, contact the City Clerk’s Office at 707-746-4200.
You may contact the Benicia Public Works Department for the following:
  • Faulty Street Light
  • Report pot holes
  • Water leaks
  • Report Grafitti

 Sign up for Classes

I want to sign my child up for classes at the Community Center. The Community Center offers many classes for children, adults and seniors. See the Benicia Activity Guide or call the Benicia Parks & Community Services Department at 707-746-4285 
When can I use the City Gym or James Lemos Swimming Pool? Check the Aquatics and Sports page of this website or call the Parks and Community Services Department at 707-746-4285 for hours of operation and programs of the City Gym and James Lemos Swim Center.


Who do I contact for a bus schedule or Dial-A-Ride? Our transportation system is SolTrans and you can get schedules, routes and pricing on their website at or calling them at 707-648-4666. For Dial-A-Ride and other transit questions, call Soltrans Dispatch at 707-745-0815.

 Water Bill

I want to pay my water bill and sign up to pay my water bill electronically.  You can set up water services, turn off water services, pay your water/sewer bill and sign up for electronic payment of your water/sewer bill with the City’s Finance Department.  Call for more information at 707-746-4225 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

 Watering my lawn

When can I water my lawn and wash my car? Look for the latest updates on the Water Conservation page of this website or contact the City’s Water Conservation Team in the Public Works Department at 707-746-4380