Legal Aid FAQ's


 Can the City Attorney advise citizens in legal matters?

No. The City Attorney advises the Mayor and City Council, City Manager, and Department Heads in legal matters. The City Attorney cannot provide legal advice to private citizens. However organizations in Solano County may be helpful to citizens in seeking legal representation and/or answers to general legal questions.  Visit Lawyer in the Library section for additional information.

Local attorneys will offer free legal advice and referral. Lawyers will meet with patrons for a maximum of twenty minutes in a private setting in the library. Practical advice about a legal problem often leads to a solution. If further help is needed, patrons will be referred to the appropriate library resource, agency, or attorney. Be in line by 4:00 P.M. Space is limited at each location.

Solano County Lawyer Referral Service
(707) 422-0127
When you call the Lawyer Referral Service you will speak with an interviewer who will assist you in determining if you require an attorney, or if non-legal assistance better serves your needs. Based on the need required, the Lawyer Referral Service will assist with the necessary steps.

 What if a business in Benicia has defaulted in performing a requested & paid-for service, and/or left town?

A citizen can take the following action by calling the:
  • Better Business Bureau, 24-Hour Service, (866) 411-2221
  • District Attorney's Consumer Fraud Division, (707) 784-6859
  • District Attorney's Office, general information, (707) 553-5321
If the amount in question is $5,000 or less, a Small Claims action may be appropriate. Contact the Vallejo-Benicia Municipal Court Small Claims Advisor, (707) 207-7336

 How would I go about obtaining a copy of Benicia Municipal Code?

  • For your convenience, an electronic version of the Benicia Municipal Code can be found under the following link, OR
  • A copy of a particular section of the code may be obtained from the City Clerk by calling (707) 746-4200, OR
  • If further clarification of a code is required, please contact the City Attorney's Office at (707) 746-4200.

 Can I trim my neighbors branches without their permission? If their branches fall on my property, can I make my neighbor clean them up?

This is a private civil matter. To obtain specific legal advice on your situation you need to consult a private attorney.

 Does the City Attorney prosecute criminal activity?

The City Attorney's office does not typically prosecute criminal activity other than violations of the Municipal Code in certain situations. For information about a criminal matter, please contact the District Attorney's Office at (707) 553-5321, or 321 Tuolumne Street, Vallejo, CA 94590.

 How do I obtain a copy of documents the city has in its files?

The Public Records Act is designed to give the public access to information in possession of public agencies. The Act also provides that public records shall be open for inspection during regular office hours of the agency. The public can inspect any record unless the record is exempted from disclosure under the Act.